Business Affairs Associate
Champlain Media/Reel One Entertainment, a Newen (TF1 Group) company, is a dynamic international television production and distribution company with offices in Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Los Angeles and London. Reel One leads the way in the development, financing, production and distribution of high-quality TV programming, and is one of the largest suppliers in the niche of highly commercial TV movies and series.
Please visit www.reeloneent.com for more information.
Champlain Media is looking for an energetic and talented Business Affairs Associate to be based at our Burnaby office.
Reporting to the Director of Business Affairs, the Business Affairs Associate will be responsible for overseeing and administering various production-related business affairs activities for a dedicated slate of television movie productions. This person will be an integral team member of CMW’s Business Affairs department.
Main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
Direct and frequent communication with key production and post-production personnel to ensure a pro-active collaborative approach to:
- Monitoring various production activities, including communicating and tracking contractual obligations, payments, approval requirements;
- Liaising on screen credits, clearances, insurance, broadcaster, Canadian-content and tax credit compliance;
- Preparing various contracts and licenses (i.e. stock footage), ensuring timely and accurate compliance by production of regulations and contractual obligations overall.
- Tracking and communicating regarding delivery milestones and schedules, etc.
- Understanding the provincial and federal tax credit and Canadian-content regulations (i.e. OMDC, SODEC, Creative BC, CAVCO), and the compliance regulations for each credit, and assisting production with adhering to such requirements.
- Generating guild signatory and compliance documentation, calculating residuals estimates, and managing the guild process for each project.
- Drafting and tracking execution of various above-the-line agreements (writers, producers, directors and actors), utilizing legal templates.
- Follow and contribute toward improving “best practices”, as well as creative problem solving and troubleshooting on day-to-day business affairs-production matters.
- Liaising with all other departments (production, finance, distribution, post-production on various business affairs issues and providing general business affairs support.
WHO YOU ARE:
- You have a passion for both sides of the industry – creative and business!
- Knowledgeable of the Canadian content film and television regulatory system
- Experienced with industry unions, guilds and a variety of contracts
- You have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize
- Highly reliable, with the ability to self-manage, problem solve and exercise excellent judgement
- Able to excel in a high-pressure, deadline-oriented environment
- Excellent professional verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- A positive contributor and collaborative team member, with a strong commitment to learning and excellence.
- You thrive in a busy environment and enjoy daily collaboration and communicating with a large (and growing!) team.
- Medical and Dental coverage
- Language Classes
- Fitness and Wellness reimbursement
- Story-by incentive
- Annual company Retreat
- Time-off and contribution for charity